Ballon d'Or 2018: Luka Modric and Ada Hegerberg win awards
Real Madrid and Croatia midfielder Luka Modric won the 2018 Ballon d'Or, becoming the first player other than Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo to claim the award in more than a decade. Modric, 33, won his third successive Champions League in May before helping Croatia to a first World Cup final. Christiano Ronaldo came second, Lionel Messi finished fifth, with Atletico Madrid frontman Antoine Griezmann and PSG attacker Kylian Mbappe - both of whom won the World Cup with France - third and fourth respectively.
Ada Hegerberg was crowned the first woman to win the Ballon d'Or after helping Lyon to the French title and Champions League. she said. “This is a great motivation to continue working hard and we will continue to work together to win more titles. I wanted to end with some words for young girls around the world: believe in yourselves.”
Kylian Mbappe was named as the winner of the Kopa Trophy for the best player of the year under the age of 21 at the Ballon d'Or ceremony in Paris on Monday.
- Messi breaks yet another record by hitting his 400th LaLiga goal
- Ramsey agrees five-year deal with Juventus
- Injury blow for Bayern Munich as Frank Ribery suffers injury in training
- Champions League & Europa League draws
- Chelsea's Morata suffers injury in Europa League clash
- Ballon d'Or 2018: Luka Modric and Ada Hegerberg win awards